Monday, December 19, 2011

thrift: n. 1. The quality of using money and other resources carefully and not wastefully.

So, in my previous post, I waxed eloquent about how this would be primarily a hair tutorial blog and I would only occasionally write about other things. And look! My first real post is going to be about a DIY project. Oh, well. That's life. 

Okay, I'm really excited about this, and I just had to share it. Like almost every single girl on my college campus, I have been sucked in the vast time-wasting abyss commonly known as Pinterest. That is where I first saw this idea: Turn the sleeves of an old sweater into trendy leg-warmers! 

Pinned Image

I know, right? Who would have ever thought? That's basically all leg warmers are. It amazes me how many simple, obvious ideas are overlooked by so many people. Anyway, I'm only a beginning blogger, so of course I forgot to document my progress while I was making them. I can only show you the finished product, but it's an easy enough concept to explain and by looking at the result, you should be able to understand how to do it.



The first thing I did was head over to my closest Goodwill during their 50% off sale and pick up a white sweater with large enough sleeves for my legs. Hey, guess what? That old sweater was $2.50. The Ugg leg warmers shown in the first picture are $60.00. That's what I call a good deal!

After washing the sweater, I cut off the sleeves (leaving the seam attached to the sleeve side) and hemmed the end that used to be at the shoulder. The hemmed part was a little large for my ankle, so I folded it along the length, sewed a new seam, and cut off the excess. Then I added a button for flourish and viola! Leg warmers.


My sewing skills are rudimentary at best, so if I can figure out how to do it, so should anyone else!



Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment